Thursday, July 12, 2012

Savory Tomato Galette and Melon Avocado Soup

This weekend I traveled to my hometown in Ohio for my best friends wedding!   The entire weekend was amazing, filled with good friends, good times, and GREAT food!!

Whenever I go home I try to make a healthy meal for my parents.  DaddyN.O.W loves his meat and potatoes, so I often see this as an opportunity to expose him to delicious, healthy, vegetarian food!  

Savory Tomato Galette
Inspired by a recipe I found on Pintrest

For the crust:
Subbed GF flour for half white flour and half whole wheat flour
I added fresh rosemary and fresh oregano

For the Filling:
I highly recommend using tofu ricotta, but I decided to go with traditional ricotta for my daddy.  I added fresh rosemary, basil, and oregano to the spice mixture.

For the Topping:
Sadly no good heirlooms in Ohio, so I stuck with halved cherry tomatoes.  I also omitted the parmesan and added a drizzle of truffle oil. 



Do not be intimidated by this recipe! The galette came together perfectly, my mind is already spinning with ways to lower the butter in the crust.  Im thinking pumpkin or chickpeas?

Of course, my family couldn't stop calling this a pizza, which infuriated me!   This galette is so much more than a pizza, it has a buttery flaky rust filled with herbs, a creamy ricotta filling, and tomatoes that just melt in your mouth.  Like I said-NOT a pizza!

Cold Melon and Avocado Soup
5 Cups Cantaloupe, cubed
1 Avocado
2 T Good olive oil
1/2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cayenne pepper*
5-8 fresh mint leaves

Greek yogurt, and more olive oil to garnish



Combine all ingredients except mint leaves and garnish in a large food processor or blender.  At one point the entire recipe looked like disgusting baby food, but as the cantaloupe continued to process the soup became and interesting orange with a pale green tint.

Once the soup is pureed, add slices of mint leaves and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. 

*This soup just needs a touch of spice, I added a pretty heavy pinch which tasted perfect at first, but as the soup cooled and the flavors melded the spice level went up!!

Top with a dollop of greet yogurt, a drizzle of olive oil, and more mint leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment