Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Evolution of Chili

When I first moved out of my parents house I only knew how to cook two things.  The first was an easy dish involving a box of cooked pasta, and entire container of ranch dressing, sliced grapes, and a cut up pieces of a rotisserie chicken.  The second dish I knew how to make was chili.  I can hardly even call it that, because it was more like ground beef + taco seasoning topped with Fritos. Not vegan, not healthy, and not very creative.






Fortunately, my journey to wellness has included an interest in healthy cooking and the desire to cut animal products from my diet.  My chili has come a very long way in the last five years, and I am proud to say this is one of my FAVORITE dishes! 
Vegan Pumpkin Chili
1 Sweet Onion, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup of Frozen Fire Roasted Corn (or one can)
1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Juices
1 Can Pumpkin Puree
1 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 T Smoked Paprika
1 T Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chile Powder
1 tsp T Oregano
2 Bay Leaves
S+P

Directions:
In a pot over medium heat, sauté garlic in ~1T olive oil until fragrant.  Add onions and continue to stir until they become translucent. 

Add in broth, pumpkin, tomatoes + juice and bring pot to a low boil.  Add in spice mixture reduce heat, and simmer for one hour.

I served my chili with store bought corn muffins (vegan) and homemade corn tortilla chips!

Easy Tortilla Chips
Corn Tortillas
Olive oil Spray
Salt 


Pre heat your oven to 325, spray tortillas with oil, and sprinkle with salt.   Cut the tortillas into what ever shape you want, and place them in the oven on a greased+foiled cookie sheet.  These chips literally only take minutes!  Rather than set a timer I just plopped myself in front of my oven and watched them crisp up.




Day TWO of the vegan challenge is a success!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment